Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Hewitt returning to competition in Sydney in January

After undergoing hip surgery after the Beijing Olympics, former World No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt will return to competitive tennis at the Sydney International tournament in hopes of being prepared to play in the 2009 Australian Open in Melbourne.

“My recovery is going well and I am really looking forward to the Australian summer,” he said in a statement Tuesday. “It is an exciting time for me. I am already feeling refreshed, reinvigorated and excited about the challenge ahead.”


Hewitt has won 26 career titles since turning pro in 1998, which includes winning the US Open in 2001 and Wimbledon in 2002. Currently coached by Australian tennis legend Tony Roche, Hewitt is looking to win his countries grand slam for the first time after finishing as runner-up in 2005.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope he will reach his toplevel again and give us some exciting matches as how he did when he reached the final of the australian open a couple of years ago.

Justin Cohen said...

I think by the time Lleyton Hewitt finishes all his rehab from his recent surgery and gets back into shape fitness wise, which he is known for, I bet Hewitt can give us a few more exciting results before he calls it quits with his tennis career.