Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kunitsyn stuns No. 7 Safin to win ATP Kremlin Cup in Moscow

Unseeded Russian Igor Kunitsyn (pictured) defeated No. 7 seed Marat Safin on Sunday, 7-6(6), 6-7(4), 6-3, in two hours and 49 minutes to win the ATP Kremlin Cup in Moscow. Kunitsyn and Vienna winner Philipp Petzschner, both first time champions this week, became the 9th and 10th players of the year to win their first career ATP crown in 2008.

In a very close first set in which Safin couldn’t break serve on two opportunities in the opening game and Kunitsyn missing out on two chances in the eighth game, Kunitsyn was eventually able to win the set in a tiebreak in 69 minutes. In the middle of the second set, both players were able to break serve once, as Safin eventually pulled out the second set tiebreak on his third set point chance. In the final set, Kunitsyn broke Safin to go up 4-2 and never looked back, winning 6-3 to claim the title.


“Winning the title feels unreal,” said Kunitsyn. “Playing in front of a home crowd in an all-Russian final, against one of my best buddies Marat and one of my favorite players was amazing. It was amazing to be in the final and it really is a dream come true. I wasn't expecting it.”

Safin, a former Australian and US Open champion, was able to smash 21 aces compared to Kunitsyn’s seven aces, while both player’s served alarmingly under 50 percent on their first serve. The champion won 38 points on his first and second service points, while Safin won 39 first serve points and 32 second serve points.

“I think I was serving way better than I did before,” said Kunitsyn. “I came to the final with good wins and was hitting the ball well. I have played every day since Wednesday. My only concern was my physical condition. Fabrice made me run a lot [in the semifinals]. I did well; I fought for every ball and took the opportunities that Marat gave me.”

Kunitsyn improves to 15-13 on the year and becomes the fourth Russian to win an ATP singles title this year. Three-time former Moscow champion Nikolay Davydenko, Dmitry Tursunov and Mikhail Youzhny were the other three Russian players to claim titles this year. With his victory on Sunday, Kunitsyn earned a $171,000 paycheck.

The 28-year old Safin drops to 23-22 this season, in a week in which he won his 400th career match by defeating Israeli Noam Okun in three sets. The former World No. 1 fell to 16-11 in 11 career appearances in Moscow. Safin earned $92,400 for his runner-up performance.

No comments: